Pizza on the Big Green Egg

Big Green Egg PizzaHaving lived in New York City for a number of years, I became quite fond of Neapolitan brick-oven style pizzas, such as those served at Lombardi’s, the oldest pizzaria in the United States (opened in 1905). While I love pizza’s many styles, my favorite has a thin NYC-style crust and is light on the toppings. While quality sauce and cheese are important, I’m a firm believer that the crust makes the pizza. I have discovered, over the past year, that the Big Green Egg makes an amazing pizza, particularly when it comes to crust quality. My favorite toppings are simple: Puréed tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and basil leaves.

Amazing pizza dough is easier to make than you might think: Use approximately 4 parts high-gluten (bread) flour to one-part semolina flour (optional). Add 2/3rds of your flour to enough water to make a thick batter (not dough yet). Toss in a tablespoon of yeast and a dash of olive oil (optional). Let this batter rest for 20 minutes or so and gently knead in the rest of your flour until a nice dough-like consistency is reached. Form into balls and let this dough rise over a few hours, punching down once and re-forming balls if you’d like. Once the dough has doubled in size, its ready to use.

Fire up your egg at full bore (600+°F) and give your pizza/baking stone plenty of time to heat up completley. If you dont have a baking stone, get one now. This extremely hot dry stone will rapidly cook your crust to perfection. In general my pizzas are bubbling hot and fully cooked in under 10 minutes, often in 5.

October 13, 2009 | Comments (6)

6 Comments »

1. Hi Nick, Do you place the pizza stone on the plate setter or direct on the grill?

Comment by Matt — September 5, 2010 @ 2:21 am

2. I’ve done it both ways. I usually use the plate setter legs-up with the grill on top of the legs, and the pizza stone on the grill.

Comment by nick — September 7, 2010 @ 1:52 pm

3. Nick,

How do you get the temp’s up to 600 while using the plate setter? I don’t think I’ve ever gotten mine above 450, though I’ve tried with vents wide open at the bottom and no wheel on top. Thanks in advance.

Comment by Brian — January 8, 2012 @ 10:15 am

4. I’ve done pizza on the BGE only once. It came out fantastic, but next time I will try your dough recipe. Only thing that bothers me about the high (600+ degrees) temp is having to replace the gaskets more often as my factory set burned out soon after purchase and cooking some things at high temps. Have you experienced the gasket issue also?

Comment by Grandpa — June 23, 2012 @ 7:59 am

5. @Brian – It’s all about air flow. If you’ve got her wide open and arent getting hot enough, I suspect its likely an air-flow issue. Clean the ash out of your firebox. and make sure there’s lots of airspace between the lumps of charcoal, so oxygen can move freely through the coals. Sometimes ash, or the small bits of lump from the bottom of the bag can substantially restrict airflow. If that fails, maybe try different lump charcoal? Good luck!

Comment by nick — October 2, 2012 @ 8:04 pm

6. @Grandpa – Unfortunately, yes. I do replace mine from time to time, but often am rolling w/ toasted gaskets as a result of my pizza sessions.

Comment by nick — October 2, 2012 @ 8:05 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Recommended

Hot Linkage

The Bacon Method. ‘Nuff said.

October 2, 2012

Green Eggs and Hamburgers: The Cult of the Big Green Egg featured in the New York Times.

July 18, 2011

Dave’s Ghost Pepper Naga Jolokia Hot Sauce, reviewed.

November 12, 2010

If my Bittman post wasn’t enough. You’re sure to get your fill from the New York Times’ Grilling Recipes. I need another stomach.

June 28, 2010

The Royal Masonic Illuminati Skeleton Priory of Big Green Eggs. Get your Big Green Egg photo fix here.

October 21, 2009

Bacon Explosion: The BBQ Sausage Recipe of all Recipes. Lord have mercy.

October 21, 2009

This breaded grilled “almost fried” chicken wings recipe is easy and delicious!

October 20, 2009

CNN: Grill, baby, grill: BBQ competitions are hot

October 20, 2009

The Burger Lab at AHT has done some research and has come up with instructions on re-creating NYC’s famous Shake Shack burgers at home. Many details are covered including the bun, the meat blend, toppings, sauce and assembly.

October 20, 2009

Burger David vs. burger Goliath: Eden Prarie, MN burger joint, Lion’s Tap, files a lawsuit against McDonald’s for ripping off their established “Who’s Your Patty?” slogan.

October 15, 2009